Life as a reformed Zookeeper. Now living a life as a working mother who dabbles in karate, scrapbooking, and Coors Light!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Two Year Evaluation for Erin and Griffin

So today was a busy old day at the Zoo on the preemie front. Erin and Griffin had their two year evaluation for First Steps today. It was very busy, but very comforting to see one more person say(or set of people say) that my babies are getting closer to being "normal kids." When they start out at under 2 1/2 pounds, it's so hard to ever think that they could be "normal". But, here they were, showing the evaluators that they were closing the gap that being born three months premature has given them. And sometimes when a child is born so early, the gap is even more than simply the amount of time they should have been baking in utero. I feel like this is one more bridge that we have crossed.....there are some that we still have in regards to their rough start. It still frightens me to send them to school....what if they have learning issues? We shall see when we come to it, I suppose. Right now I'm revelling in the fact that we're getting closer. The only delays that we're showing are with speech. It won't surprise me to see that Griffin would need therapy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't qualify for therapy, based simply on how boisterous the boy is. He truly is my performance artist, and that is such a riot to see.

On the lighter side of the evaluation, they were totally wondering why they were the center of attention. You could tell that Griffin knew that we were talking about him, and was wondering why. And when he figured out that we were all paying attention to him, he was a shining star. Too hilarious. Erin was a little more timid, but you could tell that she was basking in the attention as well.

What big kids. I feel bad that I sometimes leave Collin out of my day. It's so hard to find time to talk about the school boy of the group....the other parts of my life are all-consuming. :( I just don't want him to be like the younger sister in My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. I really do love Collin a lot. And, being the first, there were plenty of times with just him. Right now, though, it seems that the twins and the daycare just take the front burners. I need to make it a priority to treat Collin like he's one of the best parts of my day. Though, I suppose I am not treating anyone or anything like the best part of my life right now. :( Most of that comes from the twins being so young and so breastfed, I suppose. lol

OK, am starting to feel like Doogie, here, so I better get.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Weee, I can comment! hehe I'm so glad the twins are doing so well. I know you freak sometimes about it but it's better to be concerned than not at all. It sounds like they are wonderful little puke monsters. hehe

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Cath said...

The kiddos are doing awesome lady and i'm sure Collin knows how busy you are and thinks you are a terrific mommy!

3:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home