Life as a reformed Zookeeper. Now living a life as a working mother who dabbles in karate, scrapbooking, and Coors Light!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

My Heart Is Breaking.....

....for those affected by the hurricane. Especially for those who were taking refuge in the Superdome. I can't even fathom what these people are going through, despite the fact that we're seeing first hand via pictures.

You see, when you run a daycare inside your home, you don't get the chance to see a lot of what's going on outside the realms of Disney television. They just don't talk about these sorts of things on the Wiggles. I'm the last to know most EVERYTHING. What knowledge I do get is from those who are fortunate enough to catch some minutes away from screaming toddlers. Those toddlers whom I try to protect from sights such as those we're seeing right now on the news.

It amazes me that people can be dealt such harsh blows. All around me, people suffer. In varying degrees, yes, but they suffer all the same. People withstand things I couldn't even begin to imagine going through, and seem to always come out seeing a bright patch where there doesn't seem to be one. I know that I've gone through (and still do, I suppose) things that people SAY they couldn't do. But it amazes me how, when faced with a crisis, people step up to the plate and do what needs to be done to survive. And sometimes they even make the world a better place for those around them.

I wish that I could do more than send a small check to those in need....but that's all I can do right now. I suppose I could drop everything and hop in my car and go down to New Orleans and do what I can to help. But I would have to leave behind the four people in my life that matter the most, and that's not practical, is it? But I hate that about myself all the same. I hate that I can't help everyone who needs it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

I would like for you to appreciate what you did do. It doesn't matter if it is money, time or prayer, that fact is it touched your heart and you did something.

The Air Force in my building held a drive for the animals affected by the hurricane. I was extremely happy I was a part of this drive. I called a couple of my animal friends and a truck load of dog and cat food came in along with collars and leashes. It touched my heart. I, personally, didn't get to buy much, kinda like giving a small check, but what I did I was proud of.

By the way, I am proud to call you my friend. As my friend, you may not have been able to send much money or go down and help those who need it but your heart is in a good place.

10:51 AM

 
Blogger Leann said...

One of the things that hit me hardest were parents of preemies that left their children in the hospital, so they themselves could get to higher ground. When I saw that on the morning show this morning, I told my twins I'd never have left them. Tears filling my eyes as I said it. My heart just breaks for all the people having to make such difficult life choices in the wake of this disaster.

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Cath said...

It is a truly devastating thing to have happened. My heart breaks for the dead, for there friends and families. I truly hope that they can recover from this and build new lives
Huge Hugs to them all!!

12:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home